Administrative Assistant Job Description
This position provides administrative support to the Catholic elementary school central office. The Administrative Assistant utilizes a variety of Regional computer systems and provides various support services for students, parents, staff, and the public. The position promotes positive public relations for the school; aims to establish effective rapport with parents while working effectively with the building administrator and other faculty. The Administrative Assistant will interface with parents, students, Accounting Coordinator, Human Resources Coordinator, Marketing Specialist and Business Manager.
- 2 year business related degree or 5 years related experience and/or training or equivalent combination of education and experience
- Must have strong knowledge of Microsoft Excel and be able create and run reports in addition to charting , pivot tables, functions, formatting and filters
- Knowledge of general bookkeeping procedures; ability to maintain accounting ledgers
- Ability to rapidly and accurately enter and retrieve computerized data
- Experience working with Smart Tuition and Cornerstone preferred
- Excellent oral and written English language skills and business telephone professionalism required
- Able to work autonomously; communicating with diverse groups; maintaining confidentiality; meeting deadlines and schedules; working with constant interruptions; setting priorities; and establishing and maintaining effective working relationships
- Must be able to be courteous and professional when dealing with parents, students, visitors and colleagues
- Prior successful experience working in a school setting strongly preferred
- Oral/written Spanish language proficiency a plus
Essential Functions and Responsibilities:
- Perform general office duties including answering multi-line phones, greeting the public, typing, filing, sorting and handling incoming and outgoing mail.
- Professionally represent the school and the Region in interactions with parents, community, staff, and students.
- Appropriately maintain and secure confidential records and inquiries.
- Assist students and staff in operation of copier/printer, materials and equipment.
- Maintain accurate and current staff and personnel records for building including contact information, injury history and status.
- Contact substitutes for all teacher coverage as required/directed.
- Order and stock supplies for building and staff. Inputs orders and coordinates with vendors for timely delivery.
- Collect teacher inventory and supply order at end of year and tracks for following year.
- Assist with collection of fees and billing.
- Create and coordinate schedules for special projects including scheduling meetings, making room arrangements, field trip schedules, school newsletters, bulletin boards, etc.
- Greet parents, students and staff in main office and direct as appropriately throughout the building.
- Supervise students in main office area, lunch area or during recess. Refer students to principal and contact parents as necessary.
- Oversee collection efforts and manage the Smart Tuition school account and run weekly delinquent tuition reports; Reach out to parents with past due accounts and draft communication if no response is received or payment agreement established, as per the Regional Policy Directives.
- Reconcile payments collected by school staff for a variety of events (e.g.: fees and fundraisers) for the purpose of completing transactions and/or securing funds.
- Perform other duties as assigned/needed.