The Global Regional School System is looking for an Assistant Controller.
Interested candidates should send a cover letter and resume to: Christopher.Sepe@archny.org.
The Archdiocese of New York has reorganized 91 of its elementary schools into a Global Regional School System (GRSS), with nine geographic school districts. Each one has a local, centralized business office that supports 8-15 schools. The entire GRSS is supported by the Global Regional School System Treasury Operations, which is responsible for the collection, processing, recording, transfer, outflow and reporting of all funds within the regional school system. The GRSS Treasury Operations will be the conduit for all financial reporting. The GRSS Treasury Operations will collect, process, and record data in order to provide a clear financial picture of each region/school.
Reporting to the Controller, the Assistant Controller’s primary responsibility is assisting in the day-to-day management of GRSS Treasury Operations, monthly reconciliations and closing of financial records.
Roles and responsibilities:
- Point person for upcoming GL conversion. Document new automated process changes as a result of conversion. Create account parameters, new accounts and codes. Complete and manage approval trees for invoices and journal entries
- Manage and review the accounts payable department.
- Responsible for year-end processing of 1099’s
- Provide accounting support services for team members in the field.
- Generate a full statement of activities, month-end close and monthly financial reporting responsibilities for the school, region and school boards. Perform financial analysis and prepare ad hoc reports as needed.
- Explore a more robust use of payments via ACH. If viable, establish workflow process and review banking needs
- Responsible for the completion of account reconciliations, including the GRSS intra-company accounts.
- Responsible for month end close. Ensure that all monthly checklist responsibilities are complete.
- Ensure proper cut off and timing of revenue/expense recognition.
- Maintain communication with SMART (tuition management system) and Paychex (payroll processing company) and ensure the integrity of general ledger mapping.
- Assist in the year-end audit with preparation of FASB reports – Statement of Activities, Financial Position, Cash Flows, Functional Expense and Notes.
- Assist in the training of staff.
- Help develop and improve internal control procedures within the GRSS Financial Operations.
- Other related duties as required by management.
- BS in Accounting, and a minimum of four years of not for profit accounting experience.
- CPA preferred. FASB accounting knowledge a must.
- Cost accounting/project cost accounting skills.
- Accounting consulting experience, or financial software implementation.
- ACCESS database experience.
- Strong oral and written communication skills.
- Strong interpersonal skills.
- Ability to work in a team environment.
- Ability to multi-task, be detail-oriented and highly organized.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced, results-oriented, web-based environment.
- Proficient in Microsoft Windows, Word, Excel and Outlook.
- Experience with ConnectNow Accounting, Microsoft Sharepoint, Smart Tuition (Blackbaud) and Paychex a plus.