Associate Director of Accounting – Department of Education
This position assists the Chief Accounting Officer (CAO) and Director of Accounting and Controller of the GRSS in the management, planning, and coordination of the financial operations of the Archdiocese of New York Department of Education (“DOE”).
- Work closely with the Chief Accounting Officer, the Director of Accounting and Financial Services and the Controller of the GRSS to ensure timely monthly closing of the books at month end, by utilizing the current methods for processing financial activity in the Lawson Financial System (used for general ledger and financial reporting), as well as other financial applications.
- Responsible for the Child Nutrition Program (CNP) and Archdiocese Drug Abuse Prevention Program (ADAPP) grant program financial reporting.
- Supervise DOE accounting staff for grants and DOE operations.
- Assist the Chief Accounting Officer in creating the annual budget.
- Responsible for the preparation of monthly financial management reports of the DOE and prepare periodic budget variance analysis and financial forecasts for review with the Superintendent of Schools office.
- Interact with various other Archdiocesan entities to ensure proper recognition of intercompany transactions.
- Prepare year-end DOE financial statements and account analyses, as needed and work closely with the outside independent public accounting firm in connection with year-end audits.
- Collaborate with members of the Archdiocesan and GRSS Finance Department team in the development and reporting of relevant financial and operational information and other special reports and ad hoc projects as requested by management.
- Provide assistance in the designing and implementation of policies and procedures.
Required Education, Experience and Skills
- BS in Accounting, a minimum of 4-5 years in public accounting, and 5-10 years’ experience in a not-for-profit institution. CPA mandatory.
- Exhibit strong accounting skills and solid communications skills, both orally and in preparing written financial reports.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office, experience with Lawson Financial System a plus.
- Ability to multi-task, be detail & deadline oriented and highly organized.
- Strong interpersonal skills.
Interested candidates should send a cover letter and resume to: Matthew.Brellis@archny.org