Archdiocese of New York
Chief Accounting Officer – Archdiocese of New York and Related Entities
Reporting to the Chief Financial Officer, this position will be responsible for all aspects of accounting functions of the Finance Department, including coordinating and producing a variety of Archdiocesan financial reports, communicating with outside independent public accounting firms and other external agencies and organizations, and maintaining operational needs of the New York Catholic Foundation and Catholic Indemnity Insurance Company.
RESPONSIBILITIES AND DUTIES:
- Oversee the preparation of periodic financial statements and account analyses for the Archdiocese of New York and related entities, including but not limited to the Archbishopric of New York, Parish Assistance Corporation, Catholic Indemnity Insurance Company, New York Catholic Foundation, Institutional Commodities Services Corp., Ecclesiastical Assistance Corporation, Archdiocesan Common Investment Fund, Joint Perpetual Fund, Archbishop Fulton J. Sheen Center and Alfred E. Smith Memorial Foundation.
- Ensure timely and accurate monthly closing of financial books and records across all Archdiocesan entities.
- Review accounting treatments for non-routine transactions, i.e., property sales, postretirement benefit obligations provided by actuary firms.
- Prepare the year-end Archdiocese of New York combined financial statements and work closely with staff at both the Finance Office and Catholic New York in preparation of the Report on the Services of the Archdiocese of New York for publication in Catholic New York.
- Work closely with the outside independent public accounting firm in connection with year-end audits and monitor and work with finance office staff to address and resolve the auditors’ recommendations on a timely basis.
- Assist the Department of Education and Global Regional School System Treasury Office staff in connection with its year-end audit.
- Assist the Director of Budgeting and Financial Reporting in the preparation of monthly budget variance analysis and financial forecasts.
- Monitor the operational needs of the New York Catholic Foundation, Catholic Indemnity Insurance Company, Archbishop Fulton J. Sheen Center and Alfred E. Smith Memorial Foundation, including but not limited to approval of vendor payments and deposits, reviewing the monthly financial information, and assisting in preparation of annual budgets and forecasts.
- Work with other entities (such as NAC Janiculum Hill Foundation, Black and Indian Mission, Franciscan Foundation for the Holy Land) to provide financial services, oversight and assistance with their external audits.
- Attend board and committee meetings for various entities and present financial related information at meetings.
- Provide assistance in the design and implementation of policies and procedures and assist in the hiring process related to the accounting and finance functions.
- Direct, manage and coordinate activities of the Audit Committee including: work with CFO and Committee Chairman to set meeting dates and draft meeting agendas; communicate meeting notifications to committee members and guests; make arrangements for meeting rooms and refreshments; compile meeting materials and distribute to members in advance of the meeting; review and follow-up on action items from previous meetings; record meeting minutes.
EDUCATION AND QUALIFICATIONS:
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting
- Minimum of 10 years’ experience of increasingly responsible positions
- CPA required
- Strong oral and written communication skills
- Attention to detail with strong time management and organizational skills
- Advanced Excel knowledge
- Exceptional analytical skills, pro-active and a good problem solver
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Sensitive to the confidentiality of information received for analysis and review
- Quick learner, creative, self-starter with good judgment and high energy
- Adheres to the professional standards and to the mission and ethical values of the Archdiocese of New York
Interested candidates should send a cover letter and resume to: Sheila.Sheldon@archny.org