The Department of Education is looking for a Communications & Public Relations Assistant
The job description is attached.
Interested candidates should send a cover letter and resume to:
The Archdiocese of New York
Department of Education
Communications and Public Relations Assistant
Objective: Manage all aspects of the Director of Communications and Public Relations responsibilities to ensure effective communication among the schools, media, and the Department of Education.
Ensure the organized, effective, and efficient completion of tasks of the Office of Communications and Public Relations.
- Completes a broad variety of administrative tasks for the Director of Communications and Public Relations, including: managing an extremely active calendar of appointments; completing expense reports; composing and preparing correspondence that is sometimes confidential.
- Plans, coordinates and ensures the Director of Communications and Public Relations schedule is followed and respected.
- Communicates directly, and on behalf of the Director of Communications and Public Relations, with principals, staff, and others, on matters related to the office.
- Researches, prioritizes, and follows up on incoming issues and concerns addressed to the Director of Communications and Public Relations, including those of a sensitive or confidential nature. Determines appropriate course of action, referral, or response.
- Provides a bridge for smooth communication between the Director of Communications and Public Relations office and internal departments of the Archdiocese of New York Office of Catholic Education; demonstrating leadership to maintain credibility, trust and support with senior staff.
- Works closely and effectively with the Director of Communications and Public Relations to keep him/her well informed of upcoming commitments and responsibilities, following up appropriately.
- Acts as a “barometer,” having a sense for the issues taking place in the environment and keeping the Director of Communications and Public Relations updated.
- Provides leadership to build relationships crucial to the success of the office, and manages a variety of special projects for the Director of Communications and Public Relations, some of which may have organizational impact.
- Successfully completes critical aspects of deliverables with a hands-on approach, including drafting acknowledgement letters, personal correspondence, updating traditional and social media accounts, and other tasks that facilitate the Director of Communications and Public Relations ability to effectively relay pertinent information to the proper audience.
- Prioritizes conflicting needs; handles matters expeditiously, proactively, and follows-through on projects to successful completion, often with deadline pressures.
- Strong organizational skills that reflect ability to perform and prioritize multiple tasks seamlessly with excellent attention to detail.
- Very strong interpersonal skills and the ability to build relationships with principals, staff, and members of the media.
- Expert level written and verbal communication skills.
- Demonstrated proactive approaches to problem-solving with strong decision-making capability.
- Emotional maturity.
- Highly resourceful team-player, with the ability to also be extremely effective independently
- Proven ability to handle confidential information with discretion, be adaptable to various competing demands, and demonstrate the highest level of customer/client service and response.
- Demonstrated ability to achieve high performance goals and meet deadlines in a fast paced environment.
- Forward looking thinker, who actively seeks opportunities and proposes solutions
Education and Experience Requirements:
- Communication/PR 2 years (preferred)
- Administrative Support 2 years (preferred)
- Bachelor’s degree (preferred)
- Experience in educational settings (preferred)
- Proficient in Microsoft Office (Google Docs, Outlook, Word, Excel, and Power Point), Adobe Acrobat, and Social Media