The Department of Education – Superintendent of Schools Office is looking for an Associate Superintendent for Secondary Education.
The job description is attached.
Interested candidates should send a cover letter and resume to:
Associate Superintendent for Secondary Schools
The Associate Superintendent for Secondary Schools is responsible to the Superintendent of Schools for all matters regarding the high schools of the Archdiocese of New York. The primary responsibilities of this position include:
- Plans and provides faculty in-service programs during the academic year;
- Plans, organizes and implements the Summer Seminars for High School Educators;
- Provides orientation for new administrators as needed;
- In conjunction with the chairs of the regional principals, plans regular meetings of regional principals councils;
- Attends meeting of high school presidents as needed;
- School visitations as needed;
- Consultation with and field support for principals;
- Organizes Cardinal’s Masses for Seniors;
- Represents Archdiocesan Education Department at high and elementary school events;
- Encourages cooperation with Archdiocesan or initiatives (cooperative marketing; blended learning);
- Ensures compliance with Archdiocesan mandates (international student).
- Test for Admission into Catholic High Schools:
- Oversight of training for elementary school principals or eighth-grade teachers and high school test coordinators;
- Approval of extended time requests;
- Develops TACHS calendar, coordinates high school Open House dates, and publishes and distributes TACHS brochure
- Program management, including identification of testing sites, feeder patterns, communication with elementary and high schools;
- Recommends contract modifications to the SOS;
- Oversight of Riverside Publishing’s management of the testing program.
- Conflict situations:
- Due process official (“court of last resort”) for parental appeals to the Department of Education and/or the Office of the Cardinal Archbishop.
- Navigates conflicts between principals or schools;
- Drafts correspondence for SOS and Cardinal Archbishop.
- Liaison with:
- Finance Office in regard to operating grants and capital improvements to the newly-independent high schools;
- Inner City Scholarship Fund;
- Associate Superintendent for Government Programs;
- Associate Superintendent for Mission Effectivenss;
- Associate Superintendent for Teacher Personnel;
- Associate Superintendent for Leadership and Recruitment;
- Associate Superintendent for Communications;
- Office of Legal Affairs;
- Director of the Safe Environment Program;
- Religious Education Office;
- CHSAA and CHSFA;
- Regional Catholic colleges;
- Other Archdiocesan agencies and outside groups religious and educational organizations involved with the high schools.
- Compiles data and develops reports as necessary:
- Graduation survey;
- Regents report;
- Enrollment report;
- TACHS reports;
- Statistical Survey for newly-independent high schools;
- Maintains files of high school census, calendars and student and faculty handbooks.
- Oversees the management of the newly-independent high schools:
- Serves as SOS’s delegate to the boards of the newly-independent high schools as assigned;
- Troubleshoots and monitors progress of newly-independent schools through contact with other SOS delegates;
- Plans and assembles documentation for Annual Meetings;
- Consults with and supports board and CEO efforts as necessary.
- Parish high schools:
- Represents SOS on parish high school advisory boards as assigned;
- Monitors enrollment and finances of high schools identified as at risk;
- Consults with at risk high schools regarding improvements in operations;
- Assists parish high schools transitioning to independence;
Consults with and supports pastors, boards and principals as necessary