The Sheen Center is looking for a Development Membership Associate.
Interested candidates should send a cover letter and resume to: email@example.com
Development/Membership Associate – Position Description
About The Sheen Center
The Archbishop Fulton J. Sheen Center for Thought & Culture is a project of the Archdiocese of New York, presenting more than 75 events in theatre, film, music, and thought per season. The state-of-the-art complex has a 274-seat proscenium theater equipped with five-camera high-definition live stream capability and a multi-track recording studio with thirty-two onstage inputs; an 80-seat black box theater; four rehearsal studios; and an art gallery. This facility is the newest arts center in Manhattan in 35 years and a significant addition to the growing artistic community in NoHo/East Villa.
The Archbishop Fulton J. Sheen Center for thought & Culture is a forum to highlight the true, the good, and the beautiful as they have been expressed throughout the ages. Cognizant of our creation in the image and likeness of God, the Sheen Center aspires to present the heights and depths of human expression in thought and culture, featuring humankind as fully alive. At the Sheen Center, we proclaim that life is worth living, especially when we seek to deepen, explore and challenge ourselves, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, intellectually, artistically, and spiritually.
The Sheen Center is seeking a hands-on, enthusiastic Development/Membership Associate to build the membership base, help plan and execute special events, assist with prospect and foundation research, prepare and write proposals, manage and fulfill sponsor agreements, organize regular annual fund direct response mail/e-mail donor appeals, and manage our donor database including donor receipting, correspondence and reports.
Reporting to the Sr. Development Counsel, the Development/Membership Associate will work closely with donors, sponsors and patrons as well as Sheen Center colleagues.
Strategy and Planning
• Work as a member of the development team to execute a comprehensive development plan with measurable goals and outcomes, consistent with the financial needs of Sheen
• Support planning and execution of fundraising events including the annual Friends of Sheen lunch and Jazz benefit as appropriate
• Work closely with corporate sponsors to fulfill agreements and requests for tickets, branding and special events
- Strategize with Sr. Development Counsel to develop and execute comprehensive programs to recruit, steward and retain members
- Engage with members to improve their experience at The Sheen Center through communications, personal contact and various activities
• Working with Sheen staff, ensure that donor and patron records are maintained accurately
• Utilize the Ovation (and eventually Raiser’s Edge) system to maximize its CRM capabilities
• Develop and write donor acknowledgements, funder reports, donor recognition and cultivation materials
- Research prospect donors utilizing on-line resources such as I-Wave and Donor Search. Work with Sr. Development Counsel to develop and maintain updated donor profiles.
Qualifications and Attributes
- A passion for the mission and work of Sheen
- A proven track record in managing fundraising events is preferred, preferably with specific experience in arts and culture.
- Excellent administrative skills including experience with donor management programs, CRM systems, and Microsoft Office
- Excellent writing and proof reading skills
- Superb interpersonal skills and the ability to interact discretely and appropriately with professional artists and other industry professionals as appropriate.
- The appropriate candidate will be diligent, tireless, passionate about the cause, and able to build and articulate a compelling case for support to a diverse group of donors and prospects.
- The ability to work effectively and collegially with other Sheen staff, Board members, patrons, and supporters.
- High degree of comfort working with various publics including donors, members and corporate sponsors and representing The Sheen Center at public occasions as appropriate
- The desire, ability, and willingness to roll up his/her sleeves and get the job done, often with limited resources
- Ability to maintain confidentiality when dealing with prospect, donor and member information is a MUST
- A college degree in a relevant field is desired and some experience in each area of responsibility is preferred.
The Sheen Center is a diverse, interesting, casual, and vibrant work environment that is brimming with activity day and night, up to seven days a week. There is a steady stream of artists, musicians, speakers, patrons, fans, and supporters who create an intense, yet fascinating, environment.
Start date: September 2018
Compensation: Competitive salary with full benefits
To apply for this position email and submit the following:
- Cover letter detailing your interest in this position at The Sheen Center including salary requirements
- Two writing samples
The Archbishop Fulton J. Sheen Center, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Employment is based upon personal capabilities and qualifications without discrimination based on race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability, marital status, veteran status, citizenship status, or any other protected characteristic as established by law.
No phone calls please.