The Development Office is looking for a Director of Donor Relations.
The job description is attached.
Interested candidates should send a cover letter and resume to:
Director of Donor Relations
Mission Statement: In service to God, the Development Office of the Archdiocese of New York
seeks to build a culture of generosity inspired by our Lord’s own model of self-gift.
Through fundraising and stewardship, the Development Office cultivates long-lasting relationships
with priests, parishioners, and lay leaders to ensure the financial stability of our Church in New York
and to bear witness to Christ’s eternal message of charity.
Primary Responsibility: The Director of Donor Relations is responsible for the strategic direction and management of leadership and top donors, including cultivating and growing the Executive Director’s portfolio, as well as fundraising initiatives and signature events essential to developing, expanding and stewarding major philanthropic support for the Archdiocese of New York.
Direct Supervisor: Executive Director of Development
- Responsible for portfolio management, including but not limited to scheduling 2-4 meetings a week for the Executive Director; writing correspondence and donor cultivation reports; developing donor communication tools for cultivation, recognition, stewardship and solicitation, oversee donor briefings
- Create fundraising strategies for major campaigns which intersect with leadership and top donors, such as the Cardinal’s Annual Stewardship Appeal, St. Patrick’s Cathedral Restoration, and capital campaigns.
- Proactively identify leads of major gift donor prospects through various research methods, as well as portfolio coordination
- Oversee the events consultant as the main point of contact for the annual Al Smith flagship event
- Support the Executive Director in the management of the Alfred E. Smith Memorial Foundation, Sheen Center and Saint Patrick’s Cathedral Boards, staffing Committees and actively recruiting new board members.
- Oversee the donor relations division budget in collaboration with the Chief of Staff
- Respond to special needs and requests of donors
- Represent the Executive Director and development department as needed
- Assume additional duties and special projects as assigned
Standards of Performance:
- Successfully raise $25M-$35M annually
- Target a 5-10% increase for leadership donors
- Schedule 8-12 meetings a month for the Executive Director
Required Education, Experience, and Skills:
- Bachelor’s degree required; advanced degree preferred
- 3-6 years of experience in development
- Demonstrated experience collaborating with board members in development-related activities, providing them with high quality support
- Strong interpersonal skills, as well as the ability to build effective, positive and collaborative relationships with board members, senior leadership, archdiocesan staff, and clergy
- Exceptional communicator, both with written and oral presentation skills
- A passion for the Catholic Church and a deep understanding of Catholic culture