Archdiocese of New York Finance Office
Director of Accounting – Fundraising and Ancillary Entities
Archdiocese of New York
The Archdiocese of New York provides services, grants and subsidies to support certain parishes and schools within the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of New York. There are several entities within the Archdiocese of New York which are primarily focused on fundraising, including the Alfred E. Smith Memorial Foundation (AES), as well as other ancillary entities, including the Archbishop Fulton J. Sheen Center (Sheen Center) and the New York Catholic Foundation (NYCF).
This position assists the Chief Accounting Officer (CAO) of the Archdiocese of New York in the management, planning, and coordination of the financial operations and functions of the entities, as noted above. The Director of Accounting needs to insure the collection, preparation and distribution of financial information to authorized personnel, monitor the activities of the functional areas under the responsibility of the CAO as directed and provide back-up managerial support as needed.
- Work closely with the CAO to produce timely and accurate reporting of financial books, utilizing all available methods for processing financial activity in the Lawson Financial System, as well as other financial applications.
- Provide oversight over month-end close process ensuring that journal entries are properly and timely posted to the general ledger and that transactions are recorded in accordance with GAAP.
- Provide oversight and direction to accountants responsible for monthly reconciliations and analyses.
- Responsible for the review of monthly financial management reports for the entities and prepare periodic budget variance analysis and financial forecasts to be used by the entity constituents.
- Prepare board packages and financial information for presentation at board meetings.
- Work closely with the CAO and entity accountants to adopt new accounting pronouncements, as applicable.
- Main liaison with the external auditors for the entities (as noted above) annual audits. Responsible for management and preparation of these entity financial statements and related footnote disclosures.
- Prepare monthly financial reporting and analysis of the New York State Catholic Health Plan and related annual filings (i.e. audit and 990).
- Ensure the collection, preparation and distribution of financial information to authorized personnel.
- Collaborate with members of the Archdiocesan Finance team in the development and reporting of relevant financial and operational information and ad hoc projects as requested by management.
- Provide assistance in the designing and implementation of financial policies, procedures and controls.
- Complete special projects, as assigned by the CAO and the Chief Financial Officer (CFO).
- Provide financial support and guidance to the various fundraising and ancillary entities.
EDUCATION AND QUALIFICATIONS
- BS in Accounting, a minimum of 4+ years experience in public accounting, and 5+ years accounting experience in a not-for-profit institution. CPA mandatory.
- Proven communications skills, both orally and in preparing written financial reports.
- Proficient in Microsoft Excel and Word, experience with Lawson Financial System a plus.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced and results-oriented environment.
- Ability to multi-task, be detail and deadline oriented and highly organized.
- Quick learner, creative, self-starter with good judgment and high energy.
- Strong interpersonal skills.
Interested candidates should send a cover letter and resume to: Sheila.Sheldon@archny.org