The Legal Affairs Department is looking for an Associate Counsel.
The job description is attached.
Interested candidates should send a cover letter and resume to:
OFFICE OF LEGAL AFFAIRS
ARCHDIOCESE OF NEW YORK
Position: Associate Counsel
DESCRIPTION: Generalist Attorney with Litigation Experience to provide a wide range of legal services to the Archdiocese of New York
Department: Office of Legal Affairs, Archdiocese of New York
The Office of Legal Affairs, which provides legal services to the Archdiocese of New York and its affiliated entities, seeks an experienced attorney with at least five years of legal experience who is a generalist with litigation experience, preferably with a working knowledge of New York not-for-profit law, to join our team to provide services to the Archdiocese of New York and its affiliate entities, including providing legal services relating litigation, education law, human resources and employment matters, and not-for-profit law.
Under the supervision of the General Counsel, the Associate Counsel will provide legal services to the Archdiocese, and its affiliated agencies as required, and will be responsible for providing legal advice and guidance on a myriad of matters, including:
- Litigation, including discovery;
- Reviewing and drafting contracts;
- Human resources and employment related matters;
- Provide general counsel in connection with state and federal education law;
- Not-for-profit corporate governance matters including assisting with the preparation of the board of director meetings, drafting corporate resolutions and maintaining corporate minute books;
- Real estate and finance matters; and
- Trusts and Estates.
Education and Experience
Juris doctorate from an accredited law school, admission to the New York Bar and a minimum of 5 years related experience.
This attorney must have strong analytical, organizational, written and oral communications skills, strong interpersonal skills and judgment and a demonstrated capability for working cooperatively in a team environment.