Under the direction of the Director and Assistant Director of the Family Life (FL) Office, this Specialist is responsible for organizing, developing, and implementing marriage ministries programs for the English-speaking Community in the Archdiocese of New York. S/he focuses his/her work and effort on Marriage Formation (Preparation)/Pre-Cana, and NFP/FABMs. This position has been an evolving role over the past several years as the cultural, economic and operational structures of the Church have continuously been changing and traditional boundaries and ways of living and working are yielding to new ways.
This Specialist is a professional and pastoral woman or man, highly organized, mature self-starter who works independently and exhibits a high-level work ethic as well as excellent communication skills. S/he has a desire to evangelize – making use of the programs as a means to introduce people to the person and saving action of Jesus Christ.
This position is responsible for:
- Managing the Archdiocesan Marriage Ministries programs as they relate to Marriage Preparation. This may include recruiting couples for Marriage Ministries roles/opportunities (including pre-cana hosts and pre-cana facilitator couples).
- Managing delegated aspects of the Archdiocesan English Marriage Preparation and Convalidation programs in collaboration with the Family Life Office team. This particularly includes, but is not limited to, responsibilities for the successful sponsoring of in-person and virtual English Pre-Cana events.
- Host/facilitation and/or oversight of occasional Pre-Cana days (mostly Saturdays, but possibly multiple-evening sessions – about 1-2x a month, in place of a weekday of work).
- Collaborating with the Marriage team on development of the Archdiocesan Marriage program that may include: working with our current blended marriage prep program, developing and/or coordinating video content for new or updated program content, using project management tools/techniques to implement new programs/content, being attentive to audiences and analytics, and building a network of ongoing facilitator and/or mentor couples, etc.
- Managing aspects of the Office’s NFP/FABM initiatives particularly as it involves the NFP Awareness Giveaway and referrals for women/couples needing training/support with NFP/FA, and monitoring the external monthly NFP Support (e.g., via Google Sheets). Keeping in touch with the Office’s external NFP/FA support partners to understand and promote as appropriate the evolving FABMs and Femtech opportunities that are in alignment with Church teaching, to strengthen and broaden our services in this field.
- Maintaining knowledge of local and regional Marriage Ministry programs that we could recommend.
- Managing and working within an annual budget.
- Adhering to the internal and external deadlines for the Director.
Required Faith-Based Knowledge/Commitment
- A practicing Catholic who accepts and is willing to abide by and give personal witness to authentic Church teachings, particularly on issues relating to the Office’s mission to promote respect for human life, family and marriage, chastity and human sexuality.
- Ability to articulate the core teachings of the Catholic Faith as handed on through Sacred Scripture, Sacred Tradition and the Magisterium of the Church. Good knowledge of Church teaching particularly on issues regarding marriage and family, the theology of the body, and life issues.
- Able to support the Family Life Office’s mission to respect all human life, in particular the most vulnerable.
Education, Experience and ADDITIONAL REQUIREMENTS:
- Bachelor’s Degree in marriage and family studies, theology, or related fields (psychology, counseling, education, etc.) or Pastoral Certification required. Master’s Degree a plus.
- Helpful to be bi-lingual (English/Spanish), but not necessary.
- A good knowledge of Church teaching on issues regarding marriage and family, the theology of the body, natural family planning and pro-life. Some familiarity with the various methods of NFP, an acceptance of the NFP lifestyle and desire to promote it throughout the archdiocese required. Some studies in marriage and family life or previous experience are necessary.
- Capable of designing/conducting in-person and virtual marriage workshops and events, working with our Special Events Office and Creative Design teams to sponsor/execute successful events.
- Willing to work with spouse in marriage prep and marriage enrichment workshops/events.
- Familiar with current social media platforms and their effectiveness in promoting our marriage-related services and products to our targeted audiences.
- Digital competency and strong technology skills with proficiency in using all Microsoft Office applications (Word, Excel PowerPoint, Outlook), and an openness to learning new software and technologies including project management, digital survey tools, and digital communications tools.
- Highly organized with strong time management skills, able to prioritize conflicting needs, handle matters expeditiously and proactively, and follow-through on projects to successful completion.
- Excellent interpersonal and pastoral skills.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Licensed Driver; Must have access to a car and be willing to travel throughout the archdiocese and to collaborate with departments and agencies within the chancery, the archdiocese and beyond.
Send resume to FLRLjobs@archny.org