The “Department of Education – Superintendent of Schools Office” is looking for a Northwest/South Bronx Regional Superintendent.
Interested candidates should send a cover letter and resume to:
Regional Superintendent of Catholic Schools – Northwest/South Bronx Region
The Catholic School system of the Archdiocese of New York is one of the largest and most diverse in the nation. Under the leadership of outstanding educators, our Catholic schools raise the academic expectations of students, educate for service and preach the Gospel message.
The Archdiocese of New York has established a Regional system of schools. We are seeking an individual to serve as a Regional Superintendent in the Northwest/South section of the Bronx. The Regional Superintendent will have direct oversight of 20-25 schools and be supported by a team which consists of support staff, instructional specialists, a business manager and a marketing specialist.
The Regional Superintendent is a transformational leader, committed to Catholic education and desiring to play a role in defining the new paradigm for Catholic schools. This is an exciting and unique leadership position which will provide the ideal candidate with the opportunity to be a part of architecturally designing the future of Catholic education. The governance and administrative structure in New York may ultimately serve as the model duplicated by many other dioceses.
The ideal candidate is a dynamic, high profile leader and practicing Catholic with extensive educational leadership experience. The candidate appointed will be a generative leader with impressive academic credentials, deep domain knowledge of Catholic school education and an innate ability to inspire confidence and drive transformational change.
The Regional Superintendent reports to the Superintendent of Catholic Schools and works collaboratively with the Regional Board of Trustees and pastors of parish based schools. Given the scale and scope of the schools within a region, the Regional Superintendent must possess constituent relationship skills and be able to lead through persuasion and servant leadership.
Archdiocese of New York-Department of Education
Regional Superintendent Job Description
This position reports to the Superintendent of Schools and provides educational leadership to the Catholic Schools in their respective Region in collaboration with the Regional School Board of Trustees and pastors of parish-based schools. Specific responsibilities include:
- Catholic Identity
In collaboration with the Associate Superintendent for Mission Effectiveness, the Regional Superintendent helps to build and reinforce a strong and authentically Catholic faith community at their schools and in their Region. Working closely with pastors, principals and the Board, the Regional Superintendent will undertake the following:
- Encourages school administration to promote/practice regular routine of prayer that includes Mass, daily prayer, seasonal devotions (i.e. Rosary, Stations of the Cross), and reception of the Sacrament of Reconciliation.
- Confirms principals and teachers are properly certified with either Level I and Level II Catechist Certification or have a Master’s Degree in religious studies from a Catholic institution, as per the prescriptions of the union contract.
- Counsels principals to establish goals for religion exam performance and use them to evaluate incremental assessment leading to final exam.
- Advises principals how to analyze religion exam results and address needs of teachers and students.
- Assists in the effective use of the Catholic Identity Assessment Tool and collaborate with the Associate Superintendent for Mission Effectiveness in monitoring its implementation.
- Ensures all schools provide an annual retreat program for their faculty.
In collaboration with the Associate Superintendent for Curriculum and Staff Development, the Regional Superintendent creates a region-wide action plan that identifies academic goals, objectives and strategies, which are aligned with Archdiocesan goals from the strategic plan.
As the primary instructional leader for their Region of schools, the Regional Superintendent will monitor and assess the academic achievement of every school as well as the quality of its programs in conjunction with the Regional Board.
- Supervises and evaluates the effectiveness of the Instructional Specialists in attaining the academic goals of the Region.
- Monitors principal’s academic achievement goals, objectives, and long-range plans to ensure they are aligned with Regional goals.
- Holds follow-up meetings with principals of high-need schools to review action plans and strategies, conduct periodic visits to these schools, and report progress to the Associate Superintendent for Curriculum and Staff Development.
- Formalizes the protocol for school “walkthroughs,” identifying key elements under evaluation, procedures for communicating / addressing areas of concern and documenting results.
- Makes unannounced visits to all principals, and conducts walkthroughs to ensure effective instruction.
- Reviews all September and December school-based “action plans” and progress reports generated by data day.
- Reviews the evaluation’s summary reports for all principals and consult with each regarding his or her SMART goals.
- Provides appropriate consultation and ongoing support for schools to maintain Archdiocesan recognized AdvancEd school accreditation status.
- Promotes schools in their region to become U.S. Department of Education Blue Ribbon Schools.
III. Leadership and Recruitment
In collaboration with the Associate Superintendent for Leadership and Recruitment, the Regional Superintendent will:
- Assists with the recruiting and training of school principals.
- Collaborates with the design and essential elements of the New Principal Formation Program, including: the New Principal Summer Institute, monthly meetings, tri-annual visits, and two annual luncheon meetings.
- Assists in mentoring at-risk principals by participating in monthly meetings to review progress, offering resources to support these principals, and counseling them out of their roles when necessary. Promotes compliance with the requirement that all principals obtain NYS Certification in Administration.
- Evaluates principals in accord with the Archdiocesan policy to determine leadership effectiveness and provide support to schools transitioning to new leadership.
- Recommends the discipline or termination of employment of principals to the Superintendent and the Board for their consideration and action.
- Coordinates the in-service training for new teachers within the Region.
- Serves as Superintendent’s representative on the Regional Board and Executive Committee, as requested by the Superintendent. Attends Board and committee meetings at the request of the Board and/or Superintendent of Schools.
- Keeps the Superintendent and Board informed of the condition of the Region’s educational system. Relays all communications by the Board to principals on school-related matters and receives from school personnel any communications directed to the Board.
- Acts as the Superintendent’s representative with local public school officials.
- Coordinates and plans, in conjunction with the Office of the Superintendent, Regional professional development offerings and the allocation of government resources to maximize the effectiveness of such programs.
- Promotes current and future Pathways to Excellence initiatives as they relate to further enhancing the Catholic Identity of the schools in their Region.
- Works with the Business Manager, who is charged with the oversight of the Region’s business operations.
- Oversees the education staff in the Regional Office, including the Instructional Specialist, Marketing Specialist and Regional Superintendent Assistant. (Note: While the Instructional Specialist and Marketing Specialist report directly to the Regional Superintendent, the Instructional Specialist receives administrative direction from the Associate Superintendent for Curriculum and Staff Development and the Marketing Specialist receives direction from the Associate Superintendent for Communications and Marketing.)
- Seeks to address complaints, comments and concerns regarding the educational operations of the Region that cannot be addressed by the principal. Serves as mediator in conflict resolution at the schools between individuals from the various school constituencies.
- Supports the Safe Environment Program through the collection and review of school rosters.
- Monitors the Regional Office budget in conjunction with the Parish Finance Office.
In collaboration with the Associate Superintendent for Communications and Marketing, the Regional Superintendent promotes the Archdiocesan student recruitment and marketing strategies to all schools in the respective Region.
- Assists schools with implementing Archdiocesan policies related to special events, awards or other recognition events, which can be leveraged to the media in conjunction with the Associate Superintendent for Communications and Marketing.
- Maintains regular communication with the Associate Superintendent for Communications and Marketing in advance of events, both positive and negative, that may require media coordination.
- Helps facilitate communication with schools on best practices with media and public relations in coordination with the Associate Superintendent for Communications and Marketing.
- Supervises, directs and evaluates the effectiveness of the Marketing Specialist, in conjunction with the Associate Superintendent of Communications and Marketing, in promoting the Archdiocesan student recruitment and marketing strategies to all schools in the Region.