Office Manager Job Description
This position manages the operation of a Catholic elementary school central office. The position oversees the day to day school office activities, supervises clerical staff and provides various support services for students, parents, staff, and the public. The position promotes positive public relations for the school; aims to establish effective rapport with parents while working effectively with the building administrator and other faculty. The Office Manager will interface with parents, students, Accounting Coordinator, Human Resources Coordinator, Marketing Specialist and Business Manager.
- 4 year business related degree or 7 years related experience and/or training or equivalent combination of education and experience required
- Must have strong knowledge of Microsoft Excel and be able create and run reports in addition to charting , pivot tables, functions, formatting and filters
- Experience working with Smart Tuition and Cornerstone software preferred
- Specific knowledge-based competencies required to satisfactorily perform the functions of the job including: business telephone professionalism and oral and written English language skills required
- General knowledge of bookkeeping procedures; ability to maintain accounting ledgers and skilled in written and oral communication
- Able to work autonomously; communicating with diverse groups; maintaining confidentiality; meeting deadlines and schedules; working with constant interruptions; setting priorities; and establishing and maintaining effective working relationships
Essential Functions and Responsibilities:
- As a representative of the school and Principal, the Office Manager must maintain a pleasant and professional demeanor with parents, children and staff. Answers inquiries and researches data to provide information concerning school programs as requested.
- Responsible for coordinating with the school’s SMART tuition representative and Business Manager to ensure fees, tuition and program (e.g.: pre-k, before and after school, etc.) rates are set as outlined in the Regional budget.
- Oversees collection efforts and manages the Smart Tuition school account and runs weekly delinquent tuition reports; Reaches out to parents with past due accounts and drafts communication if no response is received or payment agreement established, as per the Regional Policy Directives.
- Acts on behalf of assigned administrator(s) in their absence (e.g.: answering or following up on questions, concerns, complaints) for the purpose of conveying and/or gathering information required for their resolution in a timely manner.
- Supports the Principal in administering grant funds and providing necessary accounting/paperwork to the treasury office. Identifies and fosters community sources for donations of supplies and/or services to promote school curriculum or enrichment.
- Maintains and updates lobby event boards and monitors weekly bulletin submissions to the school’s parish.
- Oversees and maintains the following programs and vendor management: hot lunch and milk, after school, bank deposits. Keeps track of forms and maintains Cornerstone and the Immediate Response Information System (I.R.I.S) by entering new student and family information and making changes of address, email, telephone numbers, and other personal information; maintains the sacraments list.
- Coordinates the work of office secretarial and clerical personnel; monitors work load; maintains vacation calendar and assigns coverage and overload assistance. Oversees the work of student office assistants and community volunteers; distributes and reviews work.
- Distributes, monitors and maintains building keys and safes. Troubleshoots problems with office equipment and calls for service as necessary. Writes work orders for custodial personnel.
- Reconciles payments collected by school staff for a variety of events (e.g.: fees and fundraisers) for the purpose of completing transactions and/or securing funds.
- Maintains and secures manual and electronic documents, files and records (e.g.: student registration data, student health forms, master calendar, budget data, employee records, financial records, reports) for the purpose of providing up-to-date information and/or historical reference in accordance with established administrative guidelines and legal requirements.
- Reconciles account balances for assigned budget categories (e.g.: student council, fundraisers, donations, requisitions) for the purpose of maintaining accuracy.
- Researches a various topics (e.g.: current practices, policies, education codes) for the purpose of providing information and/or recommendations and/or addressing administrative requirements.
- Perform other duties as assigned/needed.