The Sheen Center is looking for a Programming Associate (Theater & Talks)
Interested candidates should send a cover letter and resume to: email@example.com
The Sheen Center Programming Associate (SCPA), with an emphasis on Theater and Talks, is a member of the Center’s programming and producing teams. The SCPA is a creative thinker, possessing solid dramaturgical skills and the ability to curate and evaluate theater scripts. The SCPA also possesses a sure understanding of the New York off-Broadway and off-off Broadway communities and is able to leverage existing connections, and make new ones, in service of the Sheen Center’s programming goals in Theater.
S/he also possess the intellectual gifts and presentation skills necessary to advance the Center’s programming goals in the area of Talks and is comfortable in a broad arena of talk subjects, including author’s nights, panel discussions and Catholic-centric programs aligned with the Sheen Center’s mission.
Reporting to: Director of Program Administration
Areas of responsibility:
- For Sheen-produced events:
- Serve as the Sheen’s ‘eyes and ears’ for theater happenings in NYC, regional theaters and on the international theater scene.
- Read and provide analysis of scripts under consideration for either of our theaters.
- Originate project ideas in talks and theater categories and participate in the development of original projects,
- Serve as line producer for Theater and Talk events, including serving as the primary contact with Artists, speakers, panelists, moderators; communicate in a timely way with other Sheen Center departments and coordinate efforts among all departments to ensure the successful execution of all Events
- Design and potentially lead theater talkbacks, other talks, symposia and discussions on a variety of culturally relevant topics.
- Suggest, foster and develop relationships with thought leaders, theater artists and companies that fit the Sheen Center mission.
- Attend readings of new plays, workshops and literary salons as time allows to scout specific and Sheen-appropriate works and artists
- Other Responsibilities
- Serve as a co-producer of the Sheen Center Theater Festival
- Serve as a primary contact person for theater, music and talks rental inquiries.
- Serve as a first-line curator of potential theater rental programming, reviewing content with clients and the other Programming Associate.
- Give tours of the Sheen Center to prospective renters and producing partners
- Other duties as needed.
Masters degree preferred.
Strong industry connections in theater community.
Ability to develop new contacts in the areas of Theater and Talks.
Superior ability to analyze scripts and provide insightful and concise written evaluations.
Ability to manage projects and communicate effectively as a line producer for thought programming.
Better than average people skills.
Very strong writing and superb communication skills.
As is true with all staff positions, he/she should be in strong alignment with the Sheen Center’s mission.