ARCHDIOCESE OF NEW YORK
CENTRAL SERVICES ACCOUNTING OFFICE
ACCOUNTANT – ANCILLARY ENTITIES
The Archdiocese of New York (ADNY) provides grants and subsidies principally to support certain parishes and schools within the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of New York. There are several entities within and under the auspices of the Archdiocese of New York, including Archbishopric (ARB), Parish Assistance Corporation (PAC), Ecclesiastical Assistance Corporation (EAC), Ecclesiastical Properties Corporation (EPC), Archdiocesan Service Corporation (ASC), as well as other ancillary entities such as the Sheen Center (Sheen), Alfred E. Smith Memorial Foundation (AES) and New York Catholic Foundation (NYCF).
The Sr. Accountant – Ancillary Entities’ primary responsibilities are to assist the Director of Accounting – Fundraising and Ancillary Entities in ensuring accurate and timely reporting of financial and budgetary information to management for specific entities. The Sr. Accountant needs to: ensure timely daily journal entry recording; monthly closing of financial books; account reconciliation and analysis, preparation and distribution of financial information to authorized personnel; monitor the activities of all functional areas under the responsibility of the Director; and provide backup managerial support as needed.
The Sr. Accountant – Ancillary Entities directly reports to the Director of Accounting – Fundraising and Ancillary Entities.
RESPONSIBILITIES AND DUTIES:
- Perform monthly bank reconciliations for ADNY, other archdiocesan entities and ancillary entities and prepare required journal entries utilizing the Lawson ledger system.
- Perform bank and investment reconciliations for the St. Rose Settlement, St. Paul’s Guild, Cardinal Spellman Foundation, the Jackson Fund and Catholic Community Relations Council and prepare required journal entries utilizing the Lawson ledger system.
- Maintain accurate financial records, prepare all monthly account reconciliations and prepare necessary journal entries and schedules for EAC (assist with ARB) and ancillary entities utilizing Lawson ledger system.
- Prepare monthly reconciliations prepare necessary journal entries and schedules for specific ADNY accounts.
- Maintain general ledger and ensure timely monthly closing of financial books for EAC and ancillary entities.
- Assist with the preparation of the annual financial statements for EAC, ancillary entities and other related entities, as needed.
- Participate in the year-end audits by ensuring that proper and accurate financial information and records are provided to the auditors on a timely basis to meet the audit reporting deadlines.
- Assist in the preparation of the annual operating budget for specific entities.
- Perform other special projects and ad-hoc reporting as required by management.
QUALIFICATIONS AND SKILLS:
- A bachelor’s degree in Accounting.
- At least 3 years of relevant experience in accounting or auditing, preferably in the non-profit sector.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Excel and other Microsoft Office applications and financial systems (Lawson Infor systems preferred).
- Strong oral and written communication skills.
- Attention to detail with strong time management, organizational and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced, results-oriented environment.
- Quick learner, creative, self-starter with good judgment and high energy.
- Sensitivity to confidentiality of information received for analysis and review.
Interested candidates should send a cover letter and resume to: Victor.Defendini@archny.org