The Global Regional School System is looking for a Senior Accountant
The job description is attached.
Interested candidates should send a cover letter and resume to:
The Department of Education Archdiocese of New York has expanded its Universal Pre-Kindergarten (UPK) Program to over 95 of its elementary schools. This expansion warrants an increase in financial oversight and management. The Senior Accountant will report to the Director of Global Regional School System (GRSS) Financial Operations with daily interaction with the Director of Early Childhood Education and GRSS Director of Board Business Operations. GRSS Director of Financial Operations reports to the Chief Financial Officer of the Archdiocese of New York, and is responsible for the treasury operation, accounting and financial services. The Director of Early Childhood Education reports to the Superintendent of Schools and is responsible for the overall educational, financial, operational and governmental compliance requirements. The GRSS Director of Board Business Operations reports to the Superintendent of Schools and is responsible for working closely with the Archdiocesan Chief Financial Officer when advising, consulting with, and providing guidance to the Regional Boards and Regional Business Mangers in the exercise of their fiscal responsibilities.
Under the leadership of the Director of GRSS Financial Operations and the direction of the Director of Early Childhood Education and the GRSS Director of Board Business Operations, the Senior Accountant will manage the preparation of monthly reports for each UPK program, that details cash receipts, and actual to budget variances, provide support to principals in understanding the financial compliance issues with the programs and monitor that revenue and expenses are within budget limits.
To assist the Director of GRSS Financial Operations by developing and administering effective accounting methods and procedures supporting the activities of the UPK programs and to assist the Director of GRSS Board Business Operations in compiling and monitor the program budgets.
RESPONSIBILITIES AND DUTIES
- Ensure the accuracy and timeliness of all reporting by managing all UPK accounting functions including the reconciling of all UPK general ledger activity.
- Work with the Director of Early Childhood Education.
- Work with contracted UPK accountants to ensure the accuracy of budgets submitted to New York City Department of Education, New York State Department of Education and other public school districts , and the recording of indirect UPK cost in the general ledger; including the allocation methodology being used.
- Prepare monthly bank reconciliations for the 9 regional UPK bank accounts and monitor all payments from the various funding agencies and ensure proper receivable balances are recorded at year-end.
- Collaborate with the contracted UPK accountants, and the Director of Early Childhood Education and the Director of Board Business Operations on the preparation and revision to all UPK budgets.
- Collaborate with the contracted UPK accountants and the Director of Early Childhood Education on the preparation of all submissions to the various funding agencies.
- Ensure the outside UPK accountants are timely reconciling school activities and are in compliance with all procedures, rules and regulations of the UPK programs.
- Communicate to the schools, regions, and the Archdiocese of New York, accurate financial information on a monthly basis.
- Conduct analytical review of financial information on a monthly basis to identify significant budget variances at schools and regions. Once identified, areas of concern should be clearly communicated to the, Director of GRSS Financial Operations, Director of Early Childhood Education and Director of GRSS Board Business Operations.
- Assist in year –end audit by providing GRSS with final UPK reports and accounting. Ensure that proper and accurate financial information and records are provided to the auditors on a timely basis to meet the audit reporting deadline.
- Assist with special projects as needed.
EDUCATION AND QUALIFICATIONS
- A bachelor’s degree in Accounting
- Strong oral and written communication skills
- Attention to detail with strong time management and organizational skills
- Advanced excel knowledge
- Exceptional analytical skills, pro-active and a good problem solver
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Ability to work in a fast-paced, results-oriented, web-based environment
- Quick learner, creative, self-starter with good judgment and high energy