St. Joseph’s Church in Greenwich Village is looking for an Parish Secretary
The job description is attached.
Interested candidates should send a cover letter and resume to:
Saint Joseph’s Church in Greenwich Village – Job Description
Position Title: Parish Secretary
Reports to: Parish Business Manager
Status: Full-time, Hourly
Hours: 9:00am to 5:00pm; 1:00pm lunch
The Parish Secretary is responsible for providing administrative and related office services for parishioners, employees, committees and outside agencies of the Church of Saint Joseph in Greenwich Village. The parish secretary is ordinarily the primary contact for parishioners, vendors and guests interacting with the church for business matters and requests for information.
- Assist parishioners in any way possible.
- Receive, manage and reply to church inquiries received through email and phone.
- Perform secretarial duties for the pastor and other designated staff:
- Receive and place telephone calls, schedule appointments, record phone messages.
- Process mail.
- Greet and refer visitors to the appropriate individual.
- Prepare bulk mailings as needed.
- Prepare and manage written correspondence as needed.
- Maintain church and office calendars.
- Manage office record-keeping and filing systems.
- Maintain Mass Book with Mass Intentions and schedule of church, Casserly Hall and other facility events.
- Maintain membership databases (DP Murphy/ConnectNow Family); (i.e. record new members, change in member’s information, sacraments, etc.)
- Maintain sacramental record keeping system. (Baptisms, Weddings, Funerals)
- Post and audit contributions on the DP Murphy Offerings Database.
- Maintain the parish offering envelope system with the envelope company. Update data on a quarterly basis.
- Ensure that D.P. Murphy mails end of year contribution statements.
- Research parish records as requested.
- Work to identify and implement improvements to such systems where needed to improve office organization.
- Organize and maintain the office supply closet and copy/mail room. Oversee an inventory of office supplies including toner and paper requirements of all office printers and copiers. Order material, supplies, or equipment as needed.
- Serve on the Parish Communication Committee. Produce the weekly bulletin. Gather and edit content for the weekly bulletin and oversee its production.
- Photocopy and fold music programs.
- Communicate with weekend staff members and parish volunteers to promote a thorough understanding of responsibilities and expectations.
- Perform all other duties as may be required.
- At least 5 years of secretarial experience
- Strong organizational and time management skills
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- A punctual and reliable work ethic
- Strong computer skills in Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Outlook, Publisher) and Databases
- Excellent command of the English language, both written and spoken
- The maintenance of an organized and clean work environment
- Good record keeping skills
- Good telephone etiquette
- Professional presentation
- Demonstrated ability to set priorities and organize work effectively and efficiently including developing and maintaining effective record keeping systems
- Utmost integrity and maintenance of confidentiality
- Ability to adapt to changes in routine and schedule
- Knowledge of basic Catholic beliefs and practices