Sacred Heart Greenwich provides an empowering learning environment for girls and young women from kindergarten through twelfth grade to prepare them to become confident, intelligent and compassionate global leaders. The school offers a coed program for young children at the Barat Center for Early Childhood Education. Our 700 students carry on the Sacred Heart tradition of academic excellence and development of the mind, body and spirit on our beautiful 110-acre campus in Greenwich, Connecticut. We are currently seeking an Upper School Theology Teacher- Christian Morality, Ethics and Social Justice for the 2019-2020 school year.
Position: Upper School Theology Teacher- Christian Morality, Ethics and Social Justice
Reports to: Head of Upper School
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
The Theology Teacher in the Upper School is responsible for providing a stimulating and nurturing environment for an academic study of the Catholic faith. This philosophy includes a particular attention to Goal One: A personal and active faith in God, but definitely includes references to all Five Sacred Heart Goals. Students will be encouraged to examine their personal faith, even if not Catholic, and become more knowledgeable in discussing it. The Theology Teacher participates in supporting Campus Ministry by assisting with Retreats, Chapels and Liturgies during the school year. A full time faculty member in the Theology Department teaches five courses which meet five times in an eight-day cycle.
• Teaching 5 sections of Christian Morality, Ethics and Social Justice (11th grade) focusing on a classic study of morality, including Sacred Scripture, natural moral law, the 10 Commandments, the Beatitudes, several Encyclicals, moral philosophy, and contemporary moral issues.
• Serving as an Advisor or Co-Advisor to a group of Upper School students.
• Providing opportunities for faith exploration through a variety of projects and encouraging an intellectual approach to the study of morality.
• Maintaining a classroom environment that supports open discussion, respect for all opinions, and recognizes the diversity of religious affiliations.
• Interacting with parents and families through regular communication and cooperation, encouraging their support.
• Participating in regular Upper School and Departmental Meetings; performing various faculty and supervisory duties.
The ideal candidate will have a graduate degree in Theology or Religious Studies. Experience in teaching Theology at the Upper School level or similar is requested. Having taught Christian Morality & Ethics is a plus. The applicant must be a practicing Catholic in good standing in order to be eligible to apply for this position.
As members of the international network of Sacred Heart schools, we are committed to attracting and retaining a Theology faculty with a passion for the Catholic faith and a firm desire to teach according to the Mission of Sacred Heart schools. We are an all-girls school that is dedicated to strengthening the education of girls in light of the best current research. We expect our faculty to value this exceptional opportunity and demonstrate a commitment to it.
Interested candidates must complete the on-line application at: http://www.applitrack.com/cshgreenwich/onlineapp/./.