The Sheen Center is looking for a Director of Development.
Interested candidates should send a cover letter and resume to: firstname.lastname@example.org
POSITION TITLE: DIRECTOR OF DEVELOPMENT
POSITION DESCRIPTION: The development director works with the Executive Director to secure necessary resources in a variety of funding areas to augment earned income. The ultimate goal is to ensure the long-term stability of the organization. By the end of the 2020-21 fiscal year, contributed income should represent roughly 50% the total operating budget (approximately $1.8 MM annually).
REPORTS TO: Executive Director
- Direct the organization and management of the comprehensive development program through supervision of volunteers and development staff
- Prepare annual plans and calendars for all fund development activities. Execute three-year (3 year) plan for the development program which is updated annually
- Create a plan for a sustainable annual fund (Step up for Sheen)
- Develop proposals, build relationships, solicit gifts and steward appropriate foundations
- Identify, cultivate, solicit and secure major gifts. Maintain an active portfolio of prospective benefactors. Work with Executive Director, Managing Director and Board members to maintain their portfolios and strategize and track progress in major and leadership giving
- Collaborate with Executive Director to secure annual Board member contributions
- Conduct a minimum of five (5) outreach meetings per month with potential benefactors in the form of discovery, cultivation, solicitation or stewardship meetings
- Supervise the stewardship process, including prompt gift acknowledgement, for all benefactors
- Oversee membership program, meet annual recruitment and renewal goals
- Serve as part of leadership team, collaborate with various department and supervise Development/Membership Associate in his/her duties
- Plan and supervise direct mail, phone-a-thon, special events, and other solicitation activities as needed
- Identify potential new Board members and make recommendations to the Executive Director and Recruiting/Norminating committee regarding their worthiness and reasons for their likely interest.
- Assist the Executive Director as staff to the Nominating/Governance and the Institutional Advancement Committees of the Board.
- Prepare board packet for each meeting of the Board of the Directors. Once approved, supervise assembly of all documents needed for the meeting’s agenda and mail all hard copies of materials to the Board at least one week before each meeting.
- Assist the Executive Director in assigning new Board Members to various committees.
- Attend major events and opening nights with the Executive Director for proper cultivation of members, donors, potential donors and board members.
- Represent Sheen as required as part of public facing duties
- Prepare monthly and quarterly reviews and analysis of progress and impact
- Other duties as required
- Baccalaureate degree. Master’s degree is preferred.
- 5 or more years experience in progressively responsible development duties (including major gifts experience with proven success)
- Enthusiasm and excellent people skills are essential. The successful candidate must have the flexibility to handle the needs of a fast-paced office and the special needs of benefactors. In addition, must be adept at working collaboratively with multiple constituents including fellow staff, Board members and high level volunteers
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Keen attention to detail and ability to analyze data and creatively problem solve
- Ability to organize and prioritize tasks and to lead and motivate others, especially volunteers.
- Thoroughness in planning and implementing work, including goals, budget, timetables, and action steps to achieve objectives.
- Due to handling of confidential donor information, discretion and tact are essential
- Adept at customary office and development technology including MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Raiser’s Edge
- Willingness to work effectively in a “start-up” endeavor
- Respect for The Sheen Center mission mandatory, experience working in a performing arts environment a plus.
- $90-110K depending on experience and benefits