As a member of Salesian Missions’ Office for International Programs, the In-Kind Logistics Associate works under the overall program supervision and policy guidance of the Office for International Programs (SMOIP) Director. Day-to-day direct supervision is provided by the In-Kind Division’s Logistics Officer. In the absence of the In-kind Logistics Officer, he/she works under the guidance of SMOIP’s Director and/or the Senior International Programs Officer to provide in-kind donations to strengthen Salesians schools, orphanages, vocational training centers, and projects for street children and other vulnerable youth.
The In-Kind Logistics Associate contributes to the programmatic goals embedded in SMOIP including (a) USAID Limited Excess Property including Gifts-in-Kind (GIK) Transportation and the Ocean Freight Reimbursement Program; and (b) any other development initiatives or tasks, as required.
Approximately 20% of international or domestic travel may be required.
- Assist with GIK solicitation, particularly from NGOs – both as ongoing provision and in an emergency response context;
- Support screening, acquisition and placement proceedings of GIK to ensure they are cost effective and fulfill the overarching Mission;
- Gather quotes and conduct analysis of LTL/FTL/LCL/FCL/RORO transportation and logistics plans to support GIK project schedules;
- Create and facilitate export shipment movement and document distribution to Freight Forwarders and GIK recipients overseas for customs formalities;
- Maintain pro-active communication with humanitarian assistance partners, GIK recipients and other stakeholders to ensure proper transfer, delivery, and compliance with donor requirements;
- Provide timely and accurate monthly reports of product inventory and movement when necessary
- Ensure information management system data sets are up to date with appropriate GIK transactions;
- Support USAID Ocean Freight Reimbursement/Limited Excess Property Program proposal development efforts;
- Occasionally pack and prepare goods to be shipped as well as load & unload GIK from trucks and equipment; and
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- B.A. in business or a related field;
- Fluent in English and working level fluency of a foreign language , especially Spanish or French;
- Computer literate, including advanced Excel and Salesforce knowledge;
- Organized, creative, and responsible, with an emphasis on following a task to its completion;
- Active Notary Public or willing to become one;
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to develop strong and effective working relationships with internal/external stakeholders – including clergy and faith-inspired organizations;
- Proficient knowledge of developing countries, cultures and ability to communicate cross-culturally;
- Physically able to lift boxes of 50 lbs, possession of a valid drivers’ licence and the ability to drive a truck to pick up in-kind donation;
- Must be able to work independently with minimal supervision and work as team player; and
- Experience keeping and maintaining inventories.