Full Job Description
Director of Campus Ministry
Under the supervision of the President and in coordination with the Director of Spiritual Activities, the Director of Campus Ministry helps create an environment that encourages and guides all members of the Spellman community to contribute to the Catholic identity of the school and the formation of a faith community that responds to the diverse spiritual needs of the students, teachers, staff, and parents. The ideal candidate for this position would be an individual who is prayerful and a Catholic in good standing. He or she would be faithful to the teachings of the Magisterium of the Catholic Church and skilled in youth ministry.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Works with the President and Director of Spiritual Activities to establish high-level goals and strategic plans for the campus ministry department.
- Assists Chaplain in the planning of school-wide Masses.
- Assists in recruiting and training lectors and servers.
- Creates worship aids for school-wide Masses.
- Assists in planning days for school wide reception of the sacrament of reconciliation and weekly Eucharistic adoration.
- Assists with the sacramental preparation of students seeking baptism, confirmation, and first communion.
- Retreats and trips
- Plans and executes day retreats for all grade levels
- Plans Emmaus retreats (two-night overnight retreats for juniors and seniors)
- Creates and facilitates faith and service trips for students during summer or school breaks
- Facilitates trips to Archdiocesan events such as New York Catholic Youth Day
- Student Life
- Helps all clubs/activities to integrate the Catholic mission and spirituality of the school.
- Makes referrals to guidance for students who need counseling or social services.
- Provides mentoring for students who will serve in leadership roles in retreats and other activities sponsored by Campus ministry.
- Works with the Chaplain in fostering awareness of vocations to the priesthood and religious life.
- Offers students personal spiritual support, coaching, and guidance.
- Christian service
- Coordinates and supervises the year-long Christian Service program, which requires students at all grade levels to complete service hours in the wider community.
- Identifies and recognizes the students who have attained a Circle “S” Christian Service Award (for service hours above and beyond what is required).
- Ensures that Christian service activities are in accord with Catholic teaching.
- Helps locate and validate agencies at which students can perform service.
- Publicizes school-wide service projects as they become available.
- Professional development
- Organizes professional development opportunities for school faculty.
- Organizes a yearly retreat opportunity for faculty.
- Pro-Life Activities
- Assists the Moderator of the Pro-Life Club in planning and organizing the annual March for Life student pilgrimage to Washington DC.
- Provide opportunities for the whole school community to participate in pro-life activities.
- Campus Ministry Office/Lounge
- Organizes use and supervision of the Campus Ministry Lounge (room 216).
- Minimum of a bachelor’s degree in Theology, Philosophy, or Religious Studies. Master’s degree preferred
- Familiarity with Google Suite (Gmail, docs, sheets, etc)
- Understanding of the high school education culture and being able to interact professionally with students, faculty, and parents.
- Ability to maintain professionalism in challenging situations.
Job Type: Full-time
Pay: $50,000.00 – $55,000.00 per year
- Dental insurance
- Health insurance
- Monday to Friday
- Weekend availability
- Bachelor’s (Preferred)
Work Location: One location