PURPOSE: To provide administrative/clerical assistance to the Tribunal Judge(s).
The Notary functions as a legal assistant. In addition to the skills of an assistant, the notary will be expected to learn enough about canon law to facilitate the various canonical procedures for which the Tribunal is responsible. A candidate for this position must be able to work harmoniously with others and assume additional responsibilities as needed. The candidate must also be able to work calmly and quickly under the pressure of deadlines.
The responsibilities of this position include, but are not limited to, the following:
• Process marriage cases and other canonical cases according to the requirements of canon law and the practice of the Metropolitan Tribunal
• Act as Notary for all formal testimonies taken.
• Assist the Judge(s) with scheduling and correspondence
• Transcribe and type testimonies
• Prepare letters and decrees for cases and track their progress using Canonical, the
Tribunal’s case management system.
• Ensure accuracy, completeness and professionalism of all materials produced
• Answer the telephone in a courteous manner and assist clients when necessary
• Deal with difficult individuals in a professional, calm, attentive, and firm manner
• Knowledge of, and firm commitment to, the teachings of the Church regarding marriage
• A firm commitment to the administration of justice with charity in the Church
• Ability to maintain confidentiality
• Knowledge of, or willingness to learn, the canon law that is relevant to the work of the Tribunal
• Knowledge of Microsoft with strong Word and Excel skills
• Excellent analytical skills, verbal and written communication skills
• Good organizational skills
• Ability to transcribe recorded testimony, or willingness to learn this skill
• A courteous manner and sensitivity to the needs of those who approach the Tribunal
• Flexibility and willingness to assist others in the office
• Knowledge of Spanish and/or other languages a plus
• Strong computer skills a MUST!!
Compensation range for this position is: $26.37 – $28.86 per hour ($48,000.00 – $52,500.00 annually).
This position is considered non-exempt and eligible for overtime.
Interested candidates should send a cover letter and resume to: JaneAnn.Sargia@archny.org