The Thomas Merton Institute for Catholic Life is an independent, nonprofit corporation organized to provide Catholic formation and to nourish faith through the pastoral, liturgical, and sacramental capacities of the Chaplaincy of Columbia Catholic Ministry, and to sponsor and provide intellectual, academic, and service programs for the growth of students and the benefit Columbia University and the community.
The Merton Institute seeks a full-time, resident Operations Manager to begin in-person work immediately at our campus near Columbia University in New York City. The Operations Manager will be responsible for various aspects of the day-to-day running of the Institute and will report directly to the Executive Director. This is a salaried position with a regular 40-hour week, although hours will be dependent week-to-week on the schedule of activities, which will include some evenings. This role requires both interpersonal and organizational skills as well as the initiative and energy to work in a new and rapidly growing organization.
• Day-to-day management of the student center, including staffing the front desk, warmly greeting visitors, and maintaining order in the study rooms, kitchen, and meeting rooms.
• Handling external communications for the Institute, including answering phone calls and emails, managing our website and social media, and advertising events.
• Coordinating regular programming and special events, including handling RSVPs and attendance, taking pictures, overseeing set-up and clean-up, and arranging travel for speakers.
• Bachelor’s degree or higher.
• Strong commitment to the Catholic Faith and to the mission of the Merton Institute.
• Familiarity with university culture and eagerness to engage with students.
• Strong verbal and written communication skills.
• Facility with digital media, including email, basic website platforms, the Office suite, and social media.
• Ability to work with initiative and cooperation with the leadership of the Institute.
• Prior experience with hospitality, event management, or marketing a plus.
Salary & Benefits
The salary range for this position is $50-60,000, commensurate with experience.
• 15 days paid vacation, taken when Columbia University is not in session.
• Up to 10 sick days annually.
• Paid federal holidays and other days of office closure.
The goal is for the Operations Manager to start full time by February 13, 2023. In order for interviews and on-boarding to take place before then, interviews for the position will take place starting the week of January 23, 2023. Therefore, those interested should apply right away. Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.
To apply, please email a cover letter, resume, two references, and (if available) a priest’s reference to the Executive Director, David Oakley, at email@example.com. The subject line should read “Merton Institute Operations Manager.” Only those selected for an interview will be contacted.