The St. Joseph’s Seminary is looking for a Staff Accountant
Interested candidates should send a cover letter and resume to: Michael.Savino@archny.org.
Staff Accountant/Finance Position
Saint Joseph’s Seminary and College/Archdiocese of New York
201 Seminary Avenue
Yonkers, NY 10704
This position assists the Director of Finance in implementing and monitoring the financial accounting, reporting and accounts payable needs of St. Joseph Seminary & College. This position works closely with the Director of Finance, the Controller and the Bursar to ensure timely daily journal entry recording and monthly closings, utilizing the Infor (Lawson) financial system.
- Assist and manage the Accounts Payable (AP) process, including correctly coding AP vouchers for payment, communication with vendors, and working closely with AP main office staff located in NYC.
- Work with Bursar to reconcile student tuition receivable and income accounts.
- Manage various miscellaneous receivable accounts for rent and events held at the Seminary, working closely with the Coordinator of Outside Activities to prepare invoices and follow up with collections. QuickBooks is used for these activities.
- Prepare and record journal entries with proper supporting documentation.
- Handle daily deposits and post payments to student/customer receivable accounts.
- Monthly bank reconciliations for several accounts at three different banks.
- Work closely with the Development office in regards to the receipt of donations.
- Assist with internal monthly closings and provide reconciliations and supporting schedules for external auditors at year end.
- Provide accurate and timely reporting of financial management information to the Director of Finance, as requested.
- Assist in the preparation of the annual operating budget of St. Joseph’s Seminary.
- Reconcile and process monthly health insurance invoices.
- Review and analyze monthly results, investigate variances between actual and budget, and correct errors and inconsistencies as needed.
Education and Experience:
Education: Bachelor’s degree in accounting
Experience: Minimum 3 years of similar experience
Skills and Characteristics:
Well-versed in Microsoft Excel and Word, with knowledge of accounts payable and accounts receivable systems. Infor (Lawson) experience preferred. Strong analytical and computer skills, excellent communication (written and verbal) and interpersonal skills. Flexibility and attention to detail. Adheres to the professional standards, mission and ethical values of St. Joseph’s Seminary and the Archdiocese of New York.